Back

Cerkiew Opieki Bogurodzicy NMP Owczary

Orthodox Church of the Protection of the Virgin Mary, Owczary

Orthodox Church of the Protection of the Virgin Mary, Owczary
Uwagi nt. dostępności: Orthodox Church of the Protection of the Virgin Mary, Owczary -
Owczary, 38-307 Owczary Tourist subregion: Beskidzki
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Religious sites
There are beacons in this object
The Orthodox church in Owczary (presently used by the Roman Catholic and Greek Catholic parishes) is one of the oldest of Lemko churches. It was erected in 1653, which is noted by the date carved in the western portal of the nave.Although only the aforementioned nave and portal remain from the original construction (the chancel and the sacristy were added in 1701, while the tower was built in 1783), the body of the building is profoundly beautiful. Already from a distance, one can see the polygonal roofs crowned with bulbous helms with false lanterns. The church also has precious furnishings, particularly the 17th century iconostasis. The church premises are surrounded with a stone wall incorporating a brick gate-belfry.
Play Play