Back

Cerkiew św. Kosmy i Damiana Berest

The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian in Berest

The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian in Berest
Uwagi nt. dostępności: The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian in Berest -
Berest 22, 33-380 Krynica-Zdrój Tourist subregion: Beskidzki
tel. +48 184711776
tel. http://www.drewniana.malopolska.pl/?page=obiekty&id=7
http://drewniana.malopolska.pl
Facilities at cultural sites: Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Religious sites
The Greek Catholic Parish Church of St. Cosmas and St. Damian in Berest (currently the Roman Catholic Parish Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help) arose in 1842. It is a West Lemko log-construction church with shingled walls. The ornamental-figurative polychrome dates from 1928. The intact classical iconostasis was put together in the C19th from C17th and C18th icons. The main canopy altar and the tabernacle date from the C19th. In the nave there are two C18th baroque side altars. The north one has an icon of the Protection of the Mother of God (Pokrov), which dates from 1721 (brought here from Izby) and is said to grant graces. Sites worth seeing! The location of Berest pursuant to the Vlach law in the area of the so-called Muszyna Land (a historical nation of Cracovian bishops) took place at the end of 14th century. The first mention of the village is dated at 1634. The local people were farmers, cattle herders and producers of charcoal for the near-by foundry. There was also a mill, a fulling mill and an inn in the village. In the interwar period the place was populated by the Lemkos, Poles and Jews. During these years, a school and Kaczowski reading room were founded in the village. The local Lemkos were displaced between 1945 and 1947. A few 19th-20th century stone shrines remained in the village, as well as 19th century stone statues depicting St. Nicholas and St. John the Baptist. West of the village, there is Żdżar mountain (741 m above sea level).
Play Play