Back

Cerkiew prawosławna Gorlice

Gorlice Orthodox Church

Gorlice Orthodox Church
Uwagi nt. dostępności: Holy Trinity Orthodox Church in Gorlice -
Św. Maksyma 2, 38-300 Gorlice Tourist subregion: Beskidzki
tel. +48 183526989
Facilities at cultural sites: Filming permitted, Photographing allowed
Type of historical sites: Religious sites
Gorlice land is an area where people of different religions, cultures, traditions and even nationalities live, respect each other and help each other every day.
In Gorlice, next to the followers of the Roman Catholic church live the Orthodox and Greek Catholics. In 1991, His Eminence Metropolitan Basil consecrated the Holy Trinity Temple, whose erection was started in 1986. According to historical sources, as early as the fifteenth century, there was an Orthodox church in Gorlice. The icon of St. Nicholas can be seen in the Museum in Lviv. The present church was designed on a Greek cross plan in the Russian-Byzantine style with a crown in the form of one main dome and five smaller ones. It is a kind of a monument to the martyrdom of Father Maxim Sandovych, accused of alleged favouring Russia, who on September 6, 1914 was shot without a court sentence by Austrian soldiers in the courtyard of the Gorlice court. In 1994, the canonization celebrations of Father Maxim were held in the church in Gorlice. It was the first canonization in the history of the Orthodox Church in this land. Inside the church the iconostasis from one of the Bieszczady Orthodox churches destroyed in the post-war period is worth seeing. In 1999, the Diocesan Museum was opened in the rectory building.
Play Play